Our Website does not automatically collect personal information from you. We only collect your personal information (such as your name and email address) if you provide it voluntarily to us by sending us mail or email, using the OSC’s contact submission forms, or setting up an account to access the OSC’s member portal. Any personal information you choose to provide to us will be handled in accordance with applicable privacy legislation and our policies and procedures.
Our Website does automatically collect certain information about your device, including information about your web browser, IP address, time zone, and some of the cookies that are installed on your device. Additionally, as you browse our Website, we collect information about the individual web pages or content that you view, what Websites or search terms referred you to our Website, and information about how you interact with our Website. We refer to this automatically collected information as “Device Information”.
We collect Device Information using the following technologies:
- Cookies, which are data files that are placed on your device or computer and often include an anonymous unique identifier. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org or the settings in your browser;
- Log files, which track actions occurring on the Website, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, internet service provider, general geographic location, referring and exit pages, and date and time stamps; and
- Web beacons, tags, and pixels, which are electronic files used to record information about how you browse our Website.
We may use information that we collect or that you provide to us, including personal information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you;
- To respond to your inquiries, comments, or requests you make from us;
- To fulfill the purposes for which you provided the information or that were described when your information was collected, or any other purpose for which you provide it, or for a compatible purpose;
- To comply with legal requirements;
- To improve our Website or visitor or member relations and experiences;
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information; or
- For any other purpose with your consent.
We may disclose information that we collect or that you provide to us, including personal information:
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provided it or to fulfil any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information;
- To OSC personnel who need the information to perform their responsibilities, to respond to requests you make from us, or otherwise have a need to know in relation to the purpose for which it was collected;
- To certain suppliers who help us serve our members or otherwise require access to the information to provide services to us;
- In accordance with applicable law to a successor in which personal information held by us about our users and members is among the assets transferred;
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request, in accordance with applicable law;
- To comply with our funding arrangements with the Government of Canada;
- If we believe the disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of the OSC, our members, or others; or
- With your consent.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We use electronic and administrative measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure, but the security of your information also depends on you. If we have given you, or you have chosen, a password for accessing user-restricted areas of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential.
In addition, transmitting information via the Internet is not completely secure and we cannot guarantee the security of any personal information you choose to transmit to our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for any circumvention of privacy settings or security measures on the Website.
Our Website may contain links to social media and other third-party websites. We accept no responsibility for the contents or privacy practices of any social media accounts, third-party websites, or any other linked content.
Please contact us by email at email@example.com or by mail at the address below if you have any questions, comments, or concerns:
Canada’s Ocean Supercluster
PO Box 338
St. John’s, NL
Last updated: 28 May 2021